Monday, September 29, 2008


This is the next morning, day one, at my place, 3 months later on Sept. 11, the day before the hurricane Ike hit the Tx. coast, after I brought them home. I brought them up into the yard to graze for a little while. Her skin looked dehydrated. Although getting food where she was after the rescue, she was lowest on the herd pole and stressed. Her coat was rough. She'd been wormed twice. She loaded and unloaded just fine getting her to my place. I have been keeping her in a large corral that I have so I can do some work with her and gentle baby down. He was very shy. You can imagine what a new adventure this was for him, having been born at the livestock yard and then kept in a pen with 6 other mares with young babies--no room to run and play, pissy mamas biting his mama. Isn't he cute? I have to remind myself each time I go into the corral to assume calm, assertive energy to work with him. It is so satisfying now to be able to handle him, thanks to the feed bucket. I started out holding his own little bucket by mama, touching his muzzle with one finger. If he wanted to eat, he had to submit to being touched. What a mile stone when my husband started touching him with his whole hand. He gentled down quickly. Still a little shy, but that's ok. He's not been here even 3 weeks yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home